IBS – In Building Solutions Introduction
In Building Solutions (IBS) are telecom networks solution comprising of a distributed antenna system (DAS) enhancing coverage and capacity inside the buildings with weak or no telecom signal.
It also increases telecom operator’s revenue, Quality of Experience and customer retention.
Statistics show that more than 80% of mobile traffic is coming from in-building usage(Source – Alcatel/Ericsson/Samsung).
Young generation are having very high demand on data. Most of data hungry applications are used in building s (Malls, Hospitals, Airports, Hotels, Universities, etc.).
Telecom operators will achieve significant reduction in CapEx spending related to IBS, utilize its large IBS footprint to generate revenue from others, eliminate cross billing and reduce OpEx.
Types of DAS Solution
There are several technologies in the market that could be utilized to provide In Building Coverage Enhancement, some are
• DAS – Shareable and applicable for large venues
• Pico / Small/Micro Cells
• RF Repeaters-Off-Air/Optical
A distributed antenna system, or DAS, is a network of spatially separated antenna nodes connected to a common source via a cables that provides wireless service within a geographic area or structure. There are two types of DAS.
Passive DAS is a distributed antenna system can be implemented using passive splitters and feeder cables.
Active DAS is a distributed antenna system that can be implemented using active-repeater amplifiers included to overcome the feeder losses. In Active DAS, instead of feeder cables the fiber optic cable is used.
Design for Multi Operators
- To ensure the KPI’s through the simulation/Heat Map during design phase to ensure that it will cater all the MNO’s requirements before pre implementation.
- Multi-system and/or multi-building design: 3G, GSM, LTE
- Multi approach
- Passive IBS DAS
- Hybrid/Active IBS DAS
- RF Design using World’s best IBwave tool
- Optimum system performance design
- Comprehensive design documents
- Customized design specifications
- Comprehensive coverage
- Cost effective project management
Commercial Drivers of IBS
Commercially speaking, almost 80% of the mobile users exist inside the buildings. During working hours the users are in their office or work places, and during evening hours in shopping malls/ recreational centers.
Also, inside High Rise Buildings or Shopping Malls or Stadiums or Hospitals or Business Center and such places, mobile usage is quite high and IBS helps generating good revenues for telecom operators.
If n telecom operator do not have good voice and data coverage, he is likely to lose his customers to competition.
• Shopping Malls
• 5 Star Hotels
• Railways & Metros
• Big Corporate Offices
• High Rise
• Hajj & Umrah locations
DAS Funding Models
– such as Telecom Operators
– Such as EMTEL
– Such as Building Owner.
Neutral Host – DAS Ownership
The concept of Neutral Host and related Business models are novel and attractive.
Business Model (Emtel Recommended)
• BOO – Build Own and Operate
• BOOT – Build Own Operate and Transfer
• Neutral Host
Build & Operate
• Neutral Host
• To be dealt case by case
• Jointly During the Contract – Neutral Host and Property Owner
• Emtel can discuss this in detail at a later time.
• Legal restrictions are to be checked.
Neutral Host Advantages
• All investments by Neutral Host
• All Technical and legal responsibility with Neutral Host
• Fully Managed by Neutral Host
• Revenue generated by Neutral host
• Revenue shared with Project/Property Owner
• At the end of contract, ownership & Knowledge is transferred to Project/Property Owner.